Think of a time when you or someone you know used informal language in a situation where formal language may have been more appropriate. What happened? Looking back, what could have been said differently, and what did the situation teach you about choosing your words carefully? (Sep. 9th)

Often times I have seen informal language be used in situations where formal language would be much more appropriate in TikTok comment sections. There has been various times---more than I count---where I have come across a TikTok video covering a serious topic like a crime case, someone's death, or another serious matter, and upon opening the comments, I have seen people asking insensitive questions or using slang to discuss the topic. More often than not, these people receive backlash from other commenters for not maintaining a serious demeanor for the serious topic, or simply for being rude, whether it was intentional or not. I think to avoid this, people should refrain from using slang words when discussing such weighty themes and think more about how they are phrasing their responses; otherwise, words can come across as disrespectful or offensive.

Summary: Today in class, we took notes and finished our Unpopular Opinions paragraphs on Writeable with our groups.

Reflection: I think if people on TikTok or any other social media platform were to use formal language in the content they make or responses they give towards other creators, their thoughts and opinions would be taken more seriously. Not only that, but civil conversations could become more common than the countless arguments seen across multiple social media platforms nowadays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which learning method do you enjoy the most? Class discussions, worksheet work, or hands-on activities. Select one and tell why. (Aug. 25)

Think about the word or phrase you find yourself using the most right now. (Aug. 31)

Think about a time when you made a claim or gave an opinion, but someone asked you, “Why?” or “How do you know?” Describe the situation. What evidence did you use to support your point, and why is explaining your evidence just as important as providing it? (Aug. 26)