Think about a time when you made a claim or gave an opinion, but someone asked you, “Why?” or “How do you know?” Describe the situation. What evidence did you use to support your point, and why is explaining your evidence just as important as providing it? (Aug. 26)

    The last situation I can clearly recall where I gave an opinion and was asked "Why?" was when I was unfortunately breaking up with my ex-boyfriend. He asked me why I was breaking up with him, and I provided him quite a lot of reasons and evidence to back up it up. A lot of this included times where he did something that upset me, and I made sure to be as clear and concise with my wording as well, and went into detail on these events to rack his memory of them. Because of this, I do believe explaining your evidence is just as important as providing it, because it shows your credibility on the point you're making. By explaining the evidence you provided, it exemplifies the knowledge you possess, which has usually be gained through experience.

Summary: Today in class, we read "Ambush" by Tim O'Brien on Writeabe to introduce us to the prompt of our assignment.

Reflection: There is a vast variety of situations where someone might be required to provide evidence to back up a claim or opinion and then explain that evidence to further clarify their point, such as breakups or class assignment prompts. It shows that rhetorical situations can be found not only just in school, but real life situations as well. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which learning method do you enjoy the most? Class discussions, worksheet work, or hands-on activities. Select one and tell why. (Aug. 25)

Think about the word or phrase you find yourself using the most right now. (Aug. 31)