After reviewing and scoring other AP Language argument essays, identify two important takeaways that you can apply to your own writing. Explain what you learned about claims, evidence, commentary, the “so what?” explanation, or the AP rubric. Use specific observations from the essays you reviewed. Write one complete paragraph. (Sep. 16)

Reviewing and scoring past AP Language argument essays has given me a better understanding of what good and bad essays may look like. A common theme I noticed was that the essays with a full five paragraphs received better scores than those with only two or three; they were more fleshed out, included more detailed evidence and commentary, and explained the "so what?" pretty well. I also noticed that, even though writing full paragraphs may not be the most common throughout all the essays we reviewed, it is still pretty easy to receive the point for creating a clear claim. From what I remember, I believe there was only one essay that did not have a clear claim written. 

Summary: Today in class, we took notes on commentary, then looked at past AP Language exams on Writeable and scored them based on our class rubric.

Reflection: I believe that taking notes on commentary before reviewing and scoring the past AP Language exams definitely helped the class understand what we were going to be looking into before going on Writeable. I also believe that this exercise was beneficial to the class as a whole, and I think more exercises like this would be very helpful in the future. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which learning method do you enjoy the most? Class discussions, worksheet work, or hands-on activities. Select one and tell why. (Aug. 25)

Think about the word or phrase you find yourself using the most right now. (Aug. 31)

Think about a time when you made a claim or gave an opinion, but someone asked you, “Why?” or “How do you know?” Describe the situation. What evidence did you use to support your point, and why is explaining your evidence just as important as providing it? (Aug. 26)