How has living in or around Atlanta influenced the way you see your community, culture, or identity? If you were speaking to someone unfamiliar with Atlanta, what would you want them to understand about your community? (Aug. 19)

     Living around the city of Atlanta and becoming very familiar with the city itself, I've become very connected to the city's people and culture. I've seen how many Atlanta residents are incredibly proud of their city and the way it runs, and aren't afraid to voice their love for their home. To me, that is extremely honorable, because I do think it is important to have a strong connection to a place you consider home, whether it be where you were born or where you feel most comfortable and seen. In Atlanta, I feel the most free to express myself without judgement, and that is what I would tell any outsiders; Atlanta, from what I've experienced, is accepting of all types of people and will always have a community built for anyone and everyone. 

Summary: Today in class, we worked on an assignment regarding rhetorical situations and rhetorical choices, using the speech "Go Home" by Keisha Lance Bottoms as reference.

Reflection: The speech "Go Home" by Keisha Lance Bottoms is primarily about the people of Atlanta, specifically violent protesters during the Black Lives Matter movement following the death of George Floyd, who were causing chaos in Atlanta. As someone who lives near Atlanta and frequently visits the city, watching the violence and chaos erupting in a place so familiar to me is beyond disheartening. While I understand the protesters' mindsets, I agree with Bottoms that violence isn't the answer, completely goes against what Martin Luther King Jr. fought and advocated for that helped build our city, and does nothing to make a positive change or stop police brutality. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which learning method do you enjoy the most? Class discussions, worksheet work, or hands-on activities. Select one and tell why. (Aug. 25)

Think about the word or phrase you find yourself using the most right now. (Aug. 31)

Think about a time when you made a claim or gave an opinion, but someone asked you, “Why?” or “How do you know?” Describe the situation. What evidence did you use to support your point, and why is explaining your evidence just as important as providing it? (Aug. 26)